Welcome, visitor! [ Register | Login

When to rent points for use in 2016?

Ad Listings Forums General Questions When to rent points for use in 2016?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Mocha cherry
      Participant

Bought platinum week timeshare at Newport Coast in 2009, 1st use in 2010, EOY even year from non Marriott.  Marriott changed to point system in 2010.  At Ko Olina during 1st week in December, enrolled week for 3475 points plus purchased 2500 points for $25,450 ($10.18 per point vs current $11.96).  🙂If I convert week to points in 2015 for use in 2016, plus get 2500 points in January 2016, when can I start looking to rent points to make 2016 reservation?  If I rent 525 points to get to 6500 premier points can I make reservation at 13 months?    6500 points needed for premier - enrolled week of 3475 - 2500 purchased trust points = 525 needed to reach premier.  Thanks for your help.

GregT
      Keymaster

Mocha,Rented points won't change your status level, so unfortunately you are 525 points short of what is needed for Premier.  You are eligible to rent 2016 points now, but most users of VPE won't have elected 2016 weeks yet for points, since there is so much time left for that decision.  Most users are still renting 2014 points and starting to think about 2015.I hope that helps?Welcome to VPE!Best,Greg

Mocha cherry
      Participant

Thanks for your help Greg.  What I don't understand is if one has to make reservations for a place about 1 year in advance, why are people looking for 2014 points to rent?  Am I missing something about making reservations under the point system?  I am only familiar with making reservations for my TS one year in advance under the week system.  I am new to the point system (contract signed Wed Dec 4).I was reading about how you were able to buy resale points.  But because I only get 2500 points one year, and then the next year I get another 2500 points plus if I enroll my TS for another 3475 points, is it not worthwhile to buy 525 more points?  Because the points are expensive, maybe by buying 525 more points resale, I would have at least 3,000 per year or like what I learned, to rent points.  Is there such a thing as being premier every other year?  If not, then what I have may be sufficient.  Btw, I think I read on TUG that if we stay at a Marriott in using points or our TS week, do we get Marriott Reward Points for the stay?  Thanks again.

GregT
      Keymaster

Thanks for your help Greg.  What I don't understand is if one has to make reservations for a place about 1 year in advance, why are people looking for 2014 points to rent?  Am I missing something about making reservations under the point system?  I am only familiar with making reservations for my TS one year in advance under the week system.  I am new to the point system (contract signed Wed Dec 4).I was reading about how you were able to buy resale points.  But because I only get 2500 points one year, and then the next year I get another 2500 points plus if I enroll my TS for another 3475 points, is it not worthwhile to buy 525 more points?  Because the points are expensive, maybe by buying 525 more points resale, I would have at least 3,000 per year or like what I learned, to rent points.  Is there such a thing as being premier every other year?  If not, then what I have may be sufficient.  Btw, I think I read on TUG that if we stay at a Marriott in using points or our TS week, do we get Marriott Reward Points for the stay?  Thanks again.

Mocha,I think that they average your EOY points for purposes of determining status, so if you have 3,475 points EOY, then for annual purposes, it's ~1,750 so you may be more than 525 points away from Premier.  Marriott would have to give you the complete answer, but I don't think its 525 points.With respect to 2014 points, even though many people have completed their 2014 travel planning, some people are still looking for points usage next year.  Travel plans change, or they spot availability at a property they are potentially interested in, and go rent points to secure the reservation.  I did this less than a year out -- I had a friend who decided they wanted to go MOC at the same time we were going, I checked availability with my points (but I didn't want to use my points to book the reservation, because I would have had to borrow -- and I don't like to borrow) so I came here and rented points from someone, and then proceeded to make the reservation.So I think 2014 vacation planning is still fluid for some people, and there are still good points reservations out there to be made in 2014.  With respect to earning Marriott Rewards, you are correct that you will get credit for elite night stays in the timeshares -- I can't remember if you get other points too though.I don't mean to intrude, but I think you are [barely] still within your 7-day rescission period for the points purchase.  If you are enrolled in DClub via your EOY Newport Beach week, you can still use points, you just have to rent them here on VPE, versus actually owning them.  It might worth considering -- rescinding on the Trust Points purchase and then renting points when you want them?    Just a thought....but if you keep them, you will have lots of fun with them too!Best,Greg

Mocha cherry
      Participant

I appreciate your help in providing info regarding points.  Since I did not buy my TS directly from Marriott, I lost some benefits such as not able to exchange for Marriott reward points.  Plus I should have bought every year use so I could rent or trade one year.  Comes from not knowing about that.  I decided to enroll my TS in Marriott's destination program to be able to exchange with other Marriotts.  Buying points, this way we get a vacation each year, maybe a bigger vacation some years cuz of the TS.  We had gone to an update on our diamond resorts TS earlier this year and decided, I would rather join the Marriott program versus Diamond Resorts, especially if plunking down lots of money.  I checked and if buying resale points though cheaper, I could end up having to pay the enrollment fee of $2395 which was waived.  Thus maybe I could save a few K's.  I discovered this vacation point exchange site from TUG when looking into further info about Marriotts point system.  Renting points could save me a ton of money especially on the maintenance fees.  I have 10 days to decide to cancel which is by Saturday.  But wow, I love this renting of points already!!  I'm trying to read all the documents Marriott gave us.  Thanks for your help.

Mocha cherry
      Participant

GregTSome documents have 10 day rescission, some have 7 days to rescind which for me is today.  I pretty much read all docs.  Just hope the "system" is beneficial since I don't plan to travel prime time.  Guess I'll have to try it out and see when we get to requesting a reservation.  Too bad there isn't something on line like II has.  BTW, how was it that some are able to find "discounts" for stays?  Is that info only for premier or premier +? 

puckmanfl
      Participant

good morningEOY points are averaged....  I get 4250 for my EOY Waiohai, thus  2175 evry year towards my PP status...Hope that helps...in the years (even) that I only have 12k points I still get PP benfits, odd years its 16k points due to my 3 eoy's...puck

Mocha cherry
      Participant

puckmanflI have one Marriott week  🙂  where some, like you, have multiple weeks :D.  Plenty of money to acquire them I'm sure.  That's why I bought into point system.  I get 2500 points per year.  So leaving out my Marriott week, I bank my 2014 2500 points + 2015 points of 2500, that would total 5,000 points to use in 2015, not 2016 (wrong year in initial question).  Still not enough for most Hawaii locations except for Waiohai but since discovering this website, I can rent the rest!  🙂  My initial question was when do I try to get more points for use in 2015 (not 2016 as in initial question)?  If I can book 12 months in advance of when I want to go (where you are lucky to have premier plus privileges), that means I can call in June 2014, to try for a place to use in June 2015, if I'm lucky to get something.  So do I rent 2015 points before June 2014 for use in 2015 before I call to look for a place?  Is this the way it works?  Or are people renting points to look for last minute deals?  I'm trying to plan for 2 bedroom villa for family use in Hawaii in June 2015.  It would cost way too much to buy more points to get premier status, let alone premier plus.

good morningEOY points are averaged....  I get 4250 for my EOY Waiohai, thus  2175 evry year towards my PP status...Hope that helps...in the years (even) that I only have 12k points I still get PP benfits, odd years its 16k points due to my 3 eoy's...puck

puckmanfl
      Participant

good morning….Mocha...If your plans are for Hawaii 2015 and you will be short (even with banking), you can rent points for 2015 anytime before 6/2014 (12 month window).  Please make sure the points you rent are valid in  the 2015 USE YEAR.  Most of the points for rent aere "LEGACY" points which have a 1/1-12/31 window. Trust points such as yours start after closing and use year runs 12 months..  This can be trickyenjoy

Mocha cherry
      Participant

good morning....Mocha...If your plans are for Hawaii 2015 and you will be short (even with banking), you can rent points for 2015 anytime before 6/2014 (12 month window).  Please make sure the points you rent are valid in  the 2015 USE YEAR.  Most of the points for rent aere "LEGACY" points which have a 1/1-12/31 window. Trust points such as yours start after closing and use year runs 12 months..  This can be trickyenjoy

puckmanflThanks for the info of when to look for points to rent.  I think it's easier to look for trust points only to not run into the problem of Legacy versus Trust points.  Regarding Legacy points, thus if I convert my Newport to points, are those Legacy points as well?  Funny, non of the Marriott documents mention legacy points.  Thanks!mocha cherry

puckmanfl
      Participant

good morning…If you turn in your deeded week for DC points..you get Legacy points.  Basically, currency in the DC exchange company.  Trust points are direct ownership currency in the Trust...  You will not find a large quantity of Trust points up for rental here.. Mostly, lonely Legacy points..

Mocha cherry
      Participant

HiI checked the points to rent.  All points are legacy points for rent.  If I elect VCP for my next use year at Newport (2016), it appears I can elect 25 months until 3 months prior to 2016 which seems like I can elect now?  Did I read and interpret that right?  Am I required to use these legacy points between Jan 1 and Dec 31, 2016 only?  I just read that someone has over 100,000 points for 2015 to rent.  Thus if I rent those points, they are only useable in 2015, can't be bank, transferred, etc., right?If I bank my 2014 trust points (I get them beginning of the year), combine with my 2015 trust points, for a total of 5,000 points to use in 2015, could I rent someone's 2015 legacy points to get more points if I don't have enough? 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.